Microsoft Outlook 2011 for Mac supports Microsoft's standard .pst backup format for mailboxes, as well as the .OLM format exclusive to Microsoft Office for Mac products. This guide will walk you through the import process for each format, however, the first three steps are the same, regardless of the type of file you are importing.
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2011.
- Click File on the Menu Bar, then click Import....
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst or .olm), then click the right arrow.
This is where the import processes diverge. If you're importing a .olm file, scroll down to the .olm importing instructions. To import a .pst, carry on from this point.
- Select Outlook for Windows Data File (.pst), then click the right arrow.
- Select your local .pst file, then click Import.
- Outlook will now import your data. This can take a long time - over an hour in some cases. It depends on the size of the .pst you're importing, and how powerful your computer is. Simply wait for the import to finish.
- Once the import completes, click Done.
- The .pst file will now be listed as its own folder in Outlook. Simply click it to view the emails inside.
- Select Outlook for Mac Data File (.olm), then click the right arrow.
- Select your local .olm file, then click Import.
- Once the import completes (which may take some time), click Done, and the backup will be imported for you.